The Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering is a higher education degree program that deals with the study of marine propulsion system, its operation and maintenance as well as controlling the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level of marine engineering.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECIVES:
The Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering (BSMarE) program aims to:
- Provide and equip students with knowledge, understanding, proficiencies, skills, competences, attitudes and values to qualify them for:
- Professional licensure examination; and
- Assessment and certification as officer-in-charge of an engineering watch in a manned engine-room or designated duty engineer officer in a periodically unmanned engine-room on seagoing ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750 kW propulsion power or more.
- Produce graduates that are:
- Competent to carry out safely the watchkeeping duties of n officer-in-charge of an engineering watch in a manned engine-room or designated duty engineer officer in a periodically unmanned engine-room, both at sea and in port;
- Fully conversant with the basic principles to be observed in keeping an engineering watch as per STCW Regulation VIII/2, Chapter VII of the STCW Code;
- Qualified to pursue a professional career or advanced studies in any maritime field of specialization.
The graduates of the BSMarE program shall have the knowledge and competence necessary to perform the following:
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake at the operational level the tasks, duties and responsibilities listed in Column 1 of Table A-III/I under Section A-III/I of the STCW Code;
- Carry out watchkeeping duties in accordance with Section A-III/2 Part 4-2 of the STCW Code;
- View the contemporary world from both Philippine and global perspective and reflect critically on maritime issues guided by ethical standards;
- Deal with problem methodically and scientifically; and
- Contribute personally and meaningfully to the country’s development.