This school was established in 1905 as an elementary trade school known as the Iloilo Trade School.
By virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 313 in 1939, the school was converted into a National School of Arts and Trade with Iloilo School of Arts and Trades as its official name. In 1940, the school offered the Two-year Teacher Education Curriculum for the graduates of the secondary trade schools and Three-Year Education Curriculum for graduates in general high school.
In 1951, the school was authorized to open the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education (BSIE). The school was made a training center in the development of industrial arts program when the team of Industrial Educators from Stanford University arrived in 1957. In 1968, it also became a training center for implementation of the reconstructed manpower program of the National Manpower and Youth Council. In 1974, the Educational Development Project Implementation Task Force (EDPITAF) identified the school as the Regional Staff Development Center (RSDC) for Practical Arts in Western Visayas. It also pioneered in the implementation of the graduate program for vocational technical education in 1976 offering the degree Master of Arts in Teaching Vocational Education.
In May 1983, by virtue of Batas Pambansa Blg 395, the school was converted into a chartered state college known as the Western Visayas College of Science and Technology.
The College has grown into a leading technological and professional manpower development institution as it serves Region VI and the whole country.
To meet its vision as the Center of Excellence in Science and Technology, the College has established its Local Area Network (LAN) that links different colleges and departments to the internet for the vast resources of the virtual world.
Through this worldwide web the College get wired, giving our students, faculty, and staff access to information highway that is needed to harness instruction, research, extension, and production of the College.
The College Library has its Online Public Catalog (OPAC) for the users to retrieve fast and easy information on the author, title and subjects of the books.
The Administration and Operation of the College has been certified by Anglo Japan American (AJA) Registrars and registered under the requirements of BS EN ISO 9001:1994 with Certificate NO. AJA01/3635 on August 24, 2001.
The College acquired a 1.5-hectare lot across the road in addition to its present 4.75 ha. area that accommodates the main campus.